Wrapping up the Year: Tips for Celebrating the Holidays Sustainably
The holidays can be a time of joy – and also a time of excess! Gift wrap, delivery boxes, holiday decorations and single-use food packaging can stack up around the holiday season. At Blue Shield of California, we are dedicated to help spread joy this holiday season, while doing our part to reduce waste and promote a healthy environment in the communities we serve.
Blue Shield of California is committed to reducing waste and lowering its carbon footprint.
Here’s how you can help reduce waste this holiday season:
- Make your own gift wrapping by using old maps, newspaper, etc. Get creative!
- Make a charitable donation in someone’s honor as a holiday gift
- Bring your own bags when shopping
- Select combined shipping for online orders or shop locally
- Look for sustainably grown Christmas trees in your area. A simple internet search yields hundreds of results!
- Place a timer on your holiday lights to save electricity
- Bring your own utensils, silverware, cloth napkin to potlucks and holiday parties
- Avoid single use plastics for holiday entertaining
- Bring your own takeout containers when dining out