This week, Blue Shield of California is eliminating tons of mail and paper for members. The plan will slash significant paper billing and information for 1.1 million Blue Shield members who have signed up for online and mobile accounts.
As part of the company’s sustainability vision, Blue Shield of California has tracked paper use over the past few years and has made some great progress. By enabling employees to securely store documents in electronic formats rather than maintain paper files, Blue Shield is already saving over 20,000 pounds of paper each year compared to 2015. Building on that success, Blue Shield is now helping members reduce paper and access plan documents anytime, anywhere.
On Monday, all registered users of the Blue Shield member website and mobile app will receive digital copies of most plan-related documents that would normally be sent via paper mail. Documents that are not available electronically or that are required to be mailed via paper will continue to be sent to each member’s mailing address.
Members who register for online and mobile accounts after Oct. 15, 2018 will automatically be enrolled to receive most of their plan documents electronically. Members who prefer to receive their materials in print can easily change their settings any time by logging in to the My Profile section of their account and reviewing their Communications Preferences.
Aside from reducing paper and helping you stay organized, moving to digital communication lets you:
- Access your benefits and claims documents any time, wherever you are
- Submit claims online, with instant uploads that eliminate mail delivery delays
- Access your digital Blue Shield ID from your phone and easily share your member card with your doctor’s office
- Pay bills online and through the Blue Shield app, saving time and avoiding unnecessary phone calls
Other features of the Blue Shield of California mobile app enable you to:
- Search for doctors and facilities by doctor specialty, location or name
- Easily track your plan usage, including your deductibles and copayments
- Review your health care team, including your doctor's credentials, locations and contact information
- Learn about our benefit discount programs, like dental, vision and pharmacy
- Find urgent care when you need it