Meet Rhonda Skelton, a Blue Shield of California Mission & Values in Action Award Nominee
Although she discovered volunteering just a few years ago, Rhonda Skelton has made a big impact in her community – all while inspiring dozens of Blue Shield of California colleagues to do the same. She was recently nominated and recognized for Blue Shield’s 2021 Mission & Values in Action Award, which recognizes employees who exemplify our core values of human, honest, and courageous.
Rhonda has a special gift for engaging colleagues. Leading by example, she helped boost volunteer participation and giving in her workgroup from 28% in 2019 to more than 80% in 2021.
“Rhonda has embedded community service and volunteerism into her work and has supported and encouraged entire workgroups to do the same,” said Joe Foley, Rhonda’s manager, who nominated her for the award. “For her, it’s not about hitting a percentage, but about service. It’s about seeing a need and working tirelessly to fill it.”
Rhonda is a 25-year employee in our Federal Employee Program customer service office in Redding. During the last year, she led the following volunteer efforts:
- Provided 600 pounds of food to United Shasta
- Assembled 508 hygiene kits for the Good News Rescue Mission
- Made 505 beanies for the Jessie Reese NEGU Foundation
- Made 108 greeting cards for children fighting cancer, sent through Wings of Angels
- Made 110 journals for the Disability Action Center
- Sent 655 carnations for veterans and an additional 90 greeting cards for soldiers through Preston Sharp Flags and Flowers
- Donated 446 pairs of socks to those in need at the Upper Room Dining Hall
- Made 237 cards for seniors at Eskaton
When we asked Rhonda how to motivate people to volunteer, she was full of ideas: “Make it fun, get your family involved. Have your kids make cards for the seniors, or for children with cancer. Go shopping together for the food you’re donating. When you’re on a walk, pick up trash. This is something we can all do - anytime you’re walking around outside, you should pick up recyclables.”
Congratulations, Rhonda! Thank you for your efforts in spreading the joy that comes with volunteering.
In 2021, Blue Shield of California employees set all-time records with its Shield Cares Giving Campaign, donating $1.58 million (including company match) and volunteering more than 40,000 hours.