SAN FRANCISCO (October 12, 2018) – Blue Shield of California is closely monitoring the severe conditions caused by Hurricane Michael. The health plan has implemented the following services to help ensure continuity of care for affected members in Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, and parts of Florida and Georgia.
- Blue Shield is allowing for the immediate refill of prescriptions for members in areas with emergency declarations, even if they are not yet due to be refilled.
- The health plan is conducting outreach to affected members who are currently participating in a care management program to ensure continuity of care.
- Magellan Health, Blue Shield’s contracted managed care plan for behavioral health, is providing free access to resources, materials and counseling services through its dedicated hotline: 1-800-327-7451.
- Blue Shield vision plan members in these states can obtain a replacement pair of lost or broken glasses, and can use out-of-network providers as needed with claims paid at in-network costs. Please contact Vision Customer Service for assistance, 877-601-9083.
- Teladoc is providing free, 24/7 general medical visits to those impacted by Hurricane Michael. Residents, as well as those displaced by the hurricane, can call 855-764-1727 to access care from the Teladoc Health network.
Blue Shield of California members who need immediate assistance can contact customer service at 800-393-6130.
Members who may have lost or misplaced their identification card can print a new card on our website at blueshieldca.com. Alternatively, members can use the Blue Shield of California mobile app to access their ID card on their mobile device.
We will continue to monitor activity and may make further adjustments to continue to best serve our members.
About Blue Shield of California
Blue Shield of California strives to create a health care system worthy of our family and friends that is sustainably affordable. We are a not for profit, independent member of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association with care for four million members, 6,800 employees and more than $17 billion in annual revenue. Founded in 1939 and headquartered in San Francisco, Blue Shield of California and its affiliates provide health, dental, vision, Medicaid and Medicare health care service plans in California. The company has contributed more than $500 million to Blue Shield of California Foundation since 2002 to have an impact on California communities.
For more news about Blue Shield of California, please visit www.news.blueshieldca.com.